Thursday, December 10, 2009

Movie Review: Kiki's Delivery Service

First off, I'm not a fan of anime. Mr. X will pick up a DVD at the library and I will make plans to be elsewhere when he watches his flick. Not so with Kiki's Delivery Service. Mr. X popped the dvd into the player, and I was immediately drawn into the story.

Kiki is a juvenile witch who must leave home at age 13 to receive training, establish a trade, and make her way in the world. We get to see Kiki leave home and beloved parents, travel to the city and start her delivery service. Along the way she runs into trouble, meets new friends, and overcomes her own insecurity.

Fortunately Kiki is able to take along her trusty cat, Jiji, who both helps and hinders Kiki.

This is a great movie; it's laugh-out-loud funny, heartwarming, and awkwardly romantic. I highly recommend it to anyone, but especially those who've previously thought anime wasn't for them.

Probably the best part of the film has nothing to do with the plot. At one point in the movie Kiki is sick and Jiji tries to take care of her. He says, "Oh, you don't feel well. Maybe we should eat something." I actually couldn't stop laughing when I heard that; Mr. X has been using that line on me since we met 8 years ago. It's his ploy to get me to cook for him. :)

1 comment:

  1. my girls love that movie...they take the brooms around and "fly" back and forth in the front of our house

    ReplyDelete

I love comments.