Friday, September 7, 2012

Hollywood, Florida

What a crazy trip this was. I had a conference for work and up until seven days before travel was iffy due to budget. Then Isaac decided to come through and it was iffy due to weather. The day I traveled to Seattle also happened to be my cousin's wedding, so I was able to attend the family lunch and reception as well as see my parents, brother, sister and her family. Then I had a red eye flight to Ft. Lauderdale. I had considered taking the bus to the hotel, but because of the tropical storm all public transportation was halted. So I took a cab and gave the guy a big tip. I think he deserved it considering it was raining so hard I couldn't see the road.

View from my room and letter from the hotel. They didn't want us going outside for the first couple days I was there and they did lay sandbags.


Can you say humidity? Monday night I walked to the grocery store to get some food for the next few days. It was nice to feel the 80 degree temperatures, but I've never been a fan of humidity.




Storm damage and the closed pool area. This was opened Tuesday night.


Tuesday night after my meetings, I went to the 15th Street Fisheries. I ordered the three course meal: Raspberry Mixed Greens Salad with goat cheese and candied pecans. Grilled Swordfish with basmati rice, cilantro and almonds and Florida rock shrimp and & coconut red curry sauce. Key Lime bar with raspberry sorbet and fruit for dessert. Everything was excellent. Though it was a pricy cab ride from the hotel.


Wedesday I had a half day of meetings. The rest of the day I spent lounging on the balcony, swimming and watching the news.


When I was a young girl, my family went camping with another family. The husband was from the east coast and he would tell us about watching the sun rise out of the ocean. Being from the west coast, I've always wanted to see this. What a treat on my last day.

On the way home, it was actually clear, so I got some pictures coming into the Gastineau channel. I was so glad to be home, although the leaves are falling off the trees and the fireweed is entirely burned out.

Please forgive the formatting. I'm not sure I like multi-picture posts!

1 comment:

  1. This is my second time reading this post. I couldn't figure out how to make a comment last time. Your trip sounds fascinating. What an adventure!

    ReplyDelete

I love comments.