Friday, October 23, 2009

Cheese and Spinach Quiche

One of our favorite meatless meals is Cheese and Spinach Quiche. I just use a basic quiche recipe and throw in spinach.


Step: 1 Make a pie crust. You can use what ever recipe you like for this. I prefer one with shortening but you can also use this recipe from Cooks.com


Prick the pie crust with a fork, and bake in 400 degree oven for 10 minutes.



Step 2: the quiche filling
3 eggs, beaten
1 1/2 cup milk
1/4 cup chopped onion
1 teaspoon salt
1 tablespoon flour


Mix together the eggs, milk, onion, salt. Next fold in 1/2 cup cheese.




Step 3 Spinach:
Defrost spinach, chop. Stir in to spinach to milk/egg/cheese mixture and pour into hot pie crust.
Bake in 350 degree oven for 35 - 45 minutes. Serve warm. YUM!


Tip for Make ahead: You'll notice that my spinach is frozen in ziplocks. I buy fresh spinach when it's on sale. We eat all we can, and then I blanch and freeze the rest to use for quiche, dips, etc.

One of the nice things about quiche is that it freezes well. Rather than freeze the pie in the pan, when the quiche is fully cooled, I carefully peel the pie out of the pan and slide into a gallon sized zip lock. I then can just stick the quiche in the freezer for a tasty breakfast, lunch or dinner.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love comments.